WOW… I have been searching for any kind of tortilla that is wheat, rice, sugar, and yeast-free… Well I found it!
…err, Okay I made it! (after finding a recipe here… I changed it up a little bit. My changes are in the recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups of quinoa flour
- 3 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder (I bought at Nutter’s)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Sea salt
- 1 tsp of grapeseed oil (other oil could be substituted)
- 1 cup of warm water (just a little less is what I used)
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, it combines easily so very easy to do by hand. Mix until fully combined, then knead until smooth on a quinoa flour’ed surface. Let rest covered with with a clean tea towel for approx an hour. (I didn’t and I didn’t have an issue)
2. Divide into 6 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
3. Use quinoa flour to flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out ball, turning over and lifting every so often to avoid it sticking to surface.
4. Heat a frying pan on the stove top to med/high heat and place rolled out tortilla onto pan, cook for approximately 30-45 seconds per side, until high parts are lightly browned. Set aside on plate with a clean damp towel covering till you are done cooking the rest.
Top with whatever your heart desires and enjoy the texture of a tortilla without grains and rice!!